Sunday, August 7, 2011

Oh Captain, My Captain!

I love movies about really good teachers. "Mr. Holland's Opus." "Dangerous Minds." "...School of Rock..."

But my ultimate favorite is "The Dead Poets Society." If you've never seen this movie, watch it immediately. (The title of this post only makes sense if you've seen it.)

On to other things...

School starts 2 weeks from tomorrow. I've been working feverishly (feverishly?) on my classroom. I'm almost done. It actually looks like a classroom now- MY classroom. Can you say "surreal?"

I thought I would post some pictures of the classroom, for those of you who would like to see it. The school-wide theme this year is camping. I had fun with it.

Oh, and a shout out to Lauri Osbourn, Jenny Osbourn, Cassie Brewster, and Jacarei Bailey for helping out this weekend. And a special shout out to Kady Sanchez and Shelby Welch for "above-and-beyond" help. :)

This is the wall in the hallway, where students will be able to display their work. (Props to
Shelby Welch for creating that amazing fire.)



This is the door. Once I get my list of students, their names will be written on lightening bugs.


This is the "Rules" bulletin board. The behavior chart is right next to it. I love this chart- it's a great improvement on the traditional "stop light" chart (with only green, yellow, and red). I like that this chart allows for both consequences AND praise/encouragement. I found it online and made it from construction paper.


My morning calendar area is incomplete, but it's coming along.



I love my reading center. (Props to Kady Sanchez for the awesome bulletin board.)



And this is my desk. :) :)



And here is a view of the room as a whole.



A lot of work has been put into setting up this classroom. Arranging and rearranging. Pinning up, taking down, and pinning up again. It's very tiring. Sometimes the troops just gotta take a nap...



I'm very excited about this upcoming school year. I can't wait until this classroom is filled up with kids, ready to learn. I have a feeling it's going to be the time of my life. 

4 comments:

  1. Your classroom looks great! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!! Stef this is beautiful!! I can't wait to hear all about your babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud to be your cousin! You are goin g to be an amazing teacher, your room looks absolutely amazing. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CLASS... I WILL BE FOLOWING YOUR BLOG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need a professional camper to come to your class.

    ReplyDelete